Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I follow politics too

In one of the last vestiges of the pretty fantasy that voting precincts are like neighborhoods and everyone knows each other, there are great swaths of this nation where you don’t need to show a government-issue picture ID to vote. Maybe you show your voter reg card, or they compare your signature, or you do show ID but you don’t have to. Indiana is not one of those places. Of course, their little voter ID law, which was put into place to prevent supposedly rampant voter fraud (and not the hanging-chads kind), discriminates against people that don’t have and/or can’t afford drivers licenses or non-license state ID card. Those people are mostly poor (cough, often minorities, cough) and elderly, who, surprise! Vote Democratic more often than not. The Supreme Court heard a challenge to that voter identification law this morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Dugdale said...

Under these proposed rules, I would have been deprived of my right to vote. Some years ago, I moved into a new apartment in November. It takes six weeks (at least) for a new ID to arrive by mail, so even if I had gone down to the courthouse the very day I signed the lease, I would not have had a state-issued photo ID to present at the polls on November 4. I didn't even have a utility bill yet; who would four days after moving in? I had someone who was registered vouch for me at the polls, which would not be allowed under these new laws.

Of course, I could have travelled back to my old state and voted illegally under false pretenses with my state-issued photo ID. So how does this prevent fraud again? I would have been allowed to vote in a state I didn't even live in, but not allowed to vote where I did live because an ID couldn't arrive in time.

I'm not saying this is stupid, just that it's ridiculous. A photo ID does not prove citizenship, and neither does it prove the lack of a felonious criminal record. It does not even prove that you live at the address shown on the ID, only that you did at some point in time. And with identity theft as prevalent as it is, a photo ID doesn't even prove that you are you.

So it proves nothing except that you can keep citizens who moved in November from voting if you really want to. Hooray!

1/09/2008 07:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home