Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Douchebags At Auditions Are No Fun

This blog may only pertain to actors, but then again, if you are reading this blog and live in Hollywood, you most likely are an actor or work with them in some way. So hopefully, you can relate. The part that everybody can relate to is douchebags. Everybody knows one, has crossed paths with one, has one in their family probably or may even be one themselves(hopefully not). It's a growing problem in America and there is no shortage of them in Hollywood. I heard Governor Schwarzenegger has proposed numerous plans to export a percentage of the douchebags in the state to no avail. I was affected by this dillema today when I went to audition for the role of a "comedic newscaster" today. When this kid comes in, probably fresh off the boat to Hollywood, and douchebagginess ensued. Apparently, he thought that for a comedic audition, you need to show how funny you are in the lobby waiting to audtion and to everybody running the audition, and auditioning as well. Nothing he said was serious, but none of it was funny. I had to sit right by him and just go over my sides and ignore it all, and then, to top it off, he said some wise ass comment about, "have fun" or something, right as I went in for my audition, as if he was trying to psych me out. (This actually happened to me at one other "comedic" audition as well. I think goofy-looking, "funny" guys think that they can intimidate me and that I'm not funny because I'm extremely good-looking ;)) The part that really pisses me off though, is that he kind of succeeded. Not because he "intimidated" me or made me nervous before my audition, but because I started to think to myself, "Is everybody in this town a douchebag and am I going to have to compromise who I am and act a little more douchey to succeed in Hollywood?" It totally threw me off and while I had all the lines down and had no problem reading the "humorous" news to the camera, I think I did so with the energy of somebody at a funeral. Was it my funeral though? Is this the mark of a change? A metamorphisis from aspiring actor to #1 ranked blogger in the nation, beating out the likes of Mark Cuban? Or can I still do both? Only time will tell. One thing I do know though...the douchebag problem in Hollywood is similar to the rat infestation problem in New York and something has to be done...before it's too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home